Making the most of the time you have with your kids.

Being a working parent can be tough. You want to be there for your children all the time, but sometimes work gets in the way. It's not uncommon to feel guilty for not being able to spend as much time with your kids as you'd like. As a mom of two, I understand this feeling all too well.



Recently, after a tough week and weekend of having my hands full with 2 sick kids, I decided to treat myself to a childless shopping experience. I went to the grocery store by myself, before picking up my son from daycare. Usually, I would pick him up first and take him along, but this time, I just needed some time alone. Once I was in the store, I couldn't help but feel rushed and hurried to finish so I could get to my son and spend time with him. I felt so guilty and anxious that I forgot half of the items on my list. When I got to the daycare 10 minutes later than usual, my son was having a ball of a time with his friends, and didn’t even notice that I was later than usual. This was a reminder for me not to obsess over squeezing in every available second of the day to spend with my kids, but rather to make the time that we do have together count.

Here are some things you can do to make the most out of your time with your kids:



Be present: When you are with your kids, make sure that you are fully present and engaged with them. Put away your phone and other distractions and focus on spending quality time with them.


Schedule dedicated time: Try to schedule dedicated time with your kids, such as a weekly outing or activity that you can look forward to and enjoy together.


Prioritise your time: It's important to prioritise your time when you are not working.This way, you can maximise the value of the time you have with your kids. Make a list of the things that are most important to you and your family, and make sure that you are spending your time on those things.


Don't compare yourself: It's easy to compare yourself to other parents who may have more time to spend with their children, but it's important to remember that everyone's situation is different. Focus on doing the best you can with the time you have, and don't worry about what others are doing.


Practice self-care: Taking care of yourself is important, both for your own well-being and for your ability to be present with your kids. Make sure that you are getting enough sleep, eating well, and taking time for yourself when you can.


Chat soon!
Miss Linky

Comments

Popular Posts